Most home fires happen in the kitchen, so you better be prepared in case of emergency. Oven fires are scary, but usually can be contained and often be easily prevented.
The oven can catch fire for different reasons:
- Sometimes food scraps or other items might be left in your oven, and they could catch fire.
- Forgetting something in the oven can also lead to burned food, lots of smoke and in some instances, a fire.
- If you are cooking something with a lot of fat and grease, it can splatter and cause a flame.
- If you are baking, the batter could overflow, drip to the bottom and start a small fire.
- Some people have even reported their ovens catching fire when they had the self-cleaning feature on.
Oven Fire – What to do
- Leave the oven door closed!
- Turn off the oven and allow the fire to burn out on its own.
- If it does not go out on its own, leave the house and call 911.
- If it does go out, then open your windows.
- Carefully open the oven door (it will be smoky!) and remove the hot pan.
- Allow the smoke to clear before determining the cause of the fire and possibly resuming cooking.
Step 1 may seem counter-intuitive, but opening the door will only cause the fire to expand. By keeping the door closed and turning off the heat, you are starving the fire, since it can’t burn without oxygen. Open the oven door only when you are sure the fire is out.
How to prevent oven fires
- Make sure your oven is clean before use.
- Do not leave cooking food unattended.
- When making cakes and pastries, put a slightly larger baking tray underneath your baking pan or cupcake tin.
- Put a cover on food that might splatter. When roasting, carefully drain some of the hot grease by removing the pan from the oven every half-hour or so.
- Get your oven checked out by a professional to make sure it is working properly.
ServiceMaster DAK fire damage restoration specialists are ready to handle emergencies in the North Shore and Northwest Chicagoland suburbs 24/7, helping to restore your life to normal as soon as possible. Call us anytime at 847-564-0204!