The cold winter weather is finally leaving the Chicago area but we are still left with plenty of snow that will continue to melt in the coming weeks. As the snow melts and spring rains start moving into the area, the risk for home flooding will increase. Flooding within a home can cause thousands of dollars’ worth of damage and if it is not addressed right away, the excess water will continue to spread throughout your home and cause even more damage. Taking the right precautions to avoid flooding in your home this spring can save you plenty of time and money that it would take to recover from the damages.
Preventing Spring Floods
It is impossible to control or completely predict the weather, especially in the Chicago suburbs, but taking preventative measures against flooding is something that is within your control. As the weather continues to get warmer, take the following actions to protect your home from flooding:
- Look for leaks in the roof or foundation and fix them ASAP
- Clean out gutters and drains so that excess water is carried away from the house
- Invest in a sump pump if you do not already have one
- Put valuable items on the highest floors of your home
- Install sewer or septic line check valves to avoid sewer backups
Sometimes flooding can still happen even when you take the necessary precautions, and if you do experience home flooding, make sure to contact us at ServiceMaster DAK. We are available 24 hours a day to provide the following services:
- Water damage restoration
- Drying, dehumidification, and water extraction
- Document drying and recovery
- Mold remediation
- Carpet, rug, and upholstery cleaning
As you begin to open up your home this spring, remember to take these preventative actions into account to avoid flooding in your home. If you still experience flooding or water damage, make sure to call us at ServiceMaster DAK for water damage restoration services. Our technicians can help limit the spread of the damage and restore structural elements and furnishings that have been affected by water damage. You can call us anytime 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (847) 564-0204.